Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pin It!

Tasty Tuesday

I think that snacks are the biggest area I struggle in with my eating. I have always been a big snacker. Before deciding to be healthy I would raid the fridge and cabinets. I would sit and eat a whole bag of chips along with a whole sleeve of cookies without even batting an eye. I would buy my kids the most unhealthy, sugar, crap filled snacks and I would sit right beside them and eat them with them. I am so happy we do not eat those snacks anymore. I still sometimes struggle in this area though. A snack should be something quick and easy. Unfortunately when I think quick and easy it is usually one of those unhealthy snacks. So I just do not buy those things and keep them in the house. If it is not here I cannot eat it right. So one quick and easy go to snack for me is a smoothie. They are healthy, yummy and very quick. My kids love them too. They will usually try to steal them from me when I make them. Of course when I do ones with protein powder I do not let them have those. I make them a version minus the protein. So here is a protein smoothie that I love.


Protein Smoothie

1 scoop vanilla whey isolate protein powder (you can also do soy, hemp, rice, pea, whey whichever you have on hand)
2 handfuls spinach/kale mixture
1/2 avocado (you will not taste it at all, it just makes it very creamy and yummy)
1/4c blueberries
5 whole strawberries (do not cut off the greens they have tons of good nutrients in them)
1tbsp chia seeds
1/2c unsweetened coconut milk (you can also do almond milk, fat free milk)
4 ice cubes


I put my ingredients in the order they are listed here. If you notice it is not mixing well you can add a little water, and it should mix much better after that. This is a very basic recipe. You can add lots of other things in here as well. I like a spoonful of natural peanut butter. I have also added a lot of other fruits, mango, pineapple, banana, oranges, etc...I have also added a few spoonfuls of plain nonfat greek yogurt. Very yummy and very easy.

No comments: