Monday, February 10, 2014

Pin It!

Time for chili

I love everything about the fall and winter. It really is the best time of year to me. I love the clothes, cooler weather, sights, sounds, smells and definitely the food. One of my favorite things to do is curl up in my yoga pants (because I pretty much have a pair on everyday) and eat a warm bowl of chili. I mean that just sounds awesome right? 

Ok so since becoming healthier I am trying to make over all my old favorite recipes into healthy ones. That's what we all want right healthy comfort food. I play around with my recipes until I think they are yummy. So feel free to change anything in this recipe to make it yummy for you. We are all different so we don't all like the same things. Although it would be so much easier if you all just went ahead and liked everything I do (kidding...maybe :))

So here is my healthier version of chili. This is turkey quinoa chili

1 pound organic ground turkey breast
1 cup organic quinoa
30 oz organic black beans (2 cans if you're using cans, but I like the organic ones in the bag)
16 oz organic chickpeas (1 can if using cans)
16 oz kidney beans (1 can if using cans)
2 cups water
6 oz organic tomato paste (I do use a can for this)
16 oz organic tomato sauce (homemade is even better)
1/2 cup organic purple onion
4 organic sweet peppers (I used red, orange and yellow)
3 organic sweet potatoes
3 stalks organic celery
1tbsp cumin
1tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp garlic
1 tbsp chili powder
1 lime juiced

I just dump all the ingredients in the crockpot really in no particular order. Chop your peppers and onions and celery and peel and cube your sweet potatoes. Add your spices (I use organic in those too by the way). If using canned beans look for a low sodium one and rinse them before adding. Cook it in the crockpot on low for 6 hours.

This is the way I like the chili. You can leave out the turkey to do a vegan friendly version or add chicken or beef if you prefer. You can use different beans or just one or two of the ones I used. Whatever kind if beans you like. I don't like my chili really hot (I'm already spicy enough ;) ), but you could add poblanos or jalapeƱos if you like. You could also leave out the celery or add carrots of you want. Basically adapt it to how you like it. I like my chili topped with avocado, black olives and a little plain Greek yogurt. How do you like yours topped?


No comments: