Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Pin It!

Tasty Tuesday

I know that healthy eating is where I have struggled in the past, and a lot of people I talk to this is the area that they struggle in as well. So here is another day that we can do some yummy healthy recipes. I know it is still summer, but I LOVE fall. I am so ready for it to be here. Today in honor o my love of fall I am doing turkey chili. I am actually making a batch of this right now, and will be eating it for lunch for awhile. What is good about this recipe is you can make it as big or as small as you want. You can also freeze it, and pull it out when needed. What I am doing is freezing 1 cup servings, and that way I can just pull out one serving at a time.

Turkey Chili


1 lb 99% fat free ground turkey
1 can organic low sodium black beans
1 can organic low sodium dark red kidney beans
1 can organic low sodium pinto beans
1 can organic low sodium great northern beans
1 can organic low sodium fire roasted tomatoes
1 can organic low sodium tomato sauce
1 small red onion chopped
1/2 red and yellow bell pepper chopped
2 chili peppers chopped
2 seeded and chopped poblano peppers
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tbsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp sea salt or no-salt
1 tsp olive oil



Open and rinse all of the beans from the cans. This will help reduce some of the sodium in them. Put the olive oil in a pan and sauté the turkey with the onions and garlic. Combine all the other ingredients in the crockpot and stir to combine. Once the turkey is browned add it to the crock pot. Cook on high for 5-6 hours.

Browning the turkey
 
Rinsing the beans
 
 
 
 

This is a super simple recipe. If you do not like all these beans you can interchange them with others or just do one or two. I like this many because it gives me extra protein. You can also do dry beans instead of the canned ones. When I do dry beans it just takes so much longer of course. You could also do this with some grass fed beef or chicken as well. You can add more spice to it as well. I just do not like my chili really spicy. You can eat the bowl of chili plain, add sour cream or nonfat plain Greek yogurt, add olives, low fat cheese, avocado, salsa verde or red salsa. Really any toppings would be good with it. You can also eat it over some whole grain, quinoa or brown rice pasta. I have some garden of eatin no salt added blue corn tortilla chips that I am going to eat with mine. I am going to try to come up with a clean recipe for corn bread. If I do I will post it here.

Feel free to add any of your favorite healthy recipes in the comments.

No comments: