Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pin It!

Remember today

As most Americans will for the rest of their lives I remember exactly what I was doing on this day 12 years ago. I was 18 years old still living with my parents. I remember waking up and walking in the living room seeing my dad watch the news and tell me what had happened. I did not at first fully grasp what was going on. I kept watching the news horrified about what had happened. I was watching as they showed the 2 plane hit. I just remember crying. My younger brother was a senior in high school. Shortly after seeing this we went to pick him up from school. I remember going to the store with my mom later that day, and everyone seemed to be just a little bit nicer to each other. All of the stores closed early that day. I do not think as a nation we have ever been closer to each other then on that day. I remember them playing I'm proud to be an American over and over on the radio, to this day I cannot listen to that song without tearing up. I have seen countless videos, footage, photos, remembrances of that day and every time I see them they make me tear up. This morning as we woke up I tried to explain to my 4 and 6 year old sons the significance of today. I told them what happened, not in gruesome detail but something that a 4 and 6 year old could understand. They said why would someone be so mean. They both seemed upset. So we took a few moments of silence while they were both sitting in my lap, and prayed together. We prayed for the country, the families that lost loved ones, the loved ones lost, New York city, the police men, firemen, and EMT workers, and also for the "bad guys" (that is what they said in their prayers). I was touched that my children could be so thoughtful. I know they do not fully grasp the situation, but just having them even for just a few moments think about others and pray for them was very heart warming. So please take this day to remember the ones who lost loved ones and the loved ones lost. Take today to love each other and do something for someone else.







I was at school last year on September 11. We spent our whole class time talking about where we all were, watched videos and prayed for everyone. This video here really touched me a lot out of all the videos we watched.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZFkZiwMLZ4

No comments: